Chai tea lattes from coffee shops are usually sugar bombs! They usually aren’t brewing their own chai tea, they are using a sugary, flavoured syrup which can add 8 teaspoons of sugar to chai tea latte (yup- Starbucks 12oz chai tea latte has 32g of sugar- that’s 8 teaspoons in your drink- yikes!) Making your own is super simple and you get all the amazing medicinal benefits of the spices you are using without the sugar bomb. Win!
Homemade Dairy Free Chai Tea
- 3 cups of cold water
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of cinnamon, broken in half
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon loose leaf black tea, I used assam. If you don't have loose leaf, use 2 black tea bags
- 1/2 - 1 cup milk, I made mine dairy free and used coconut milk, but other non dairy milks would work, or full fat organic milk. I used the full cup because I wanted it milky.
- Place all the spices and water in a pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add tea to steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour tea and spice mixture through a strainer to remove pieces of spices and return the liquid tea to the pan on low heat.
- Add you honey to taste and as much milk as you like. Heat on medium heat.
- If you want it to be frothy like a latte, place in the blender for a few seconds to froth.
- Pour in a cup and enjoy! Cuddle up with a book and cozy blanket.
Jennifer Moore http://jmoorehealth.com/